New York Historical Synagogues Map

Komenetz Podolia and Zitomer Wohlin
Address: 50-52 Attorney Street, New York, NY 10002
Associated Towns: Kamyanets Podilskyy (Ukraine); Zhytomyr (Ukraine), located in the Volhynia province
Aux Societies: Insurance, Study
Notes: According to the 1939 WPA Survey, this congregation was named Komenetz Podolia and Zitomer Wohlin and was located at 50 Attorney Street. It had been organized in 1886. It had previously been located at 85 Norfolk Street and at 30 Suffolk Street until 1805 [1905], when the present brick synagogue was built. According to the 1900/1901 AJYB, there was then a congregation named Achim Zetomir U-Wolin that was located at 30 Suffolk Street. It had been founded in 1891, had a rabbi, 115 members and seat holders, met the first and third Saturdays of the month with services daily, conducted a religious school with 30 pupils, and was associated with Washington Cemetery. According to the 1907/1908 AJYB, the congregation was then named Anshei Zitomer u-Volin and was located at 32 Orchard Street. It had been organized in 1894 and had a rabbi and daily services in Hebrew. According to the 1907/1908 AJYB, there was then also a congregation named Anshei Yeshurun Kamenetz-Podelsk and located at 50 Attorney Street. It had been organized on May 1, 1886, and had a cantor, 230 members, conducted services daily in Hebrew, and had an auxiliary society, the Kamenetz-Podolier Unterstützungsverein. According to the JCR (1917/1918), the congregation was then named Komenetz Podolia and Zitomer Wohlin and was located at 52 Attorney Street. It was an orthodox congregation that had been organized in 1901 [but see 1907/1908 AJYB listings] with a membership of 260 and a seating capacity of 375. It was associated with insurance and study societies and with a cemetery.
Name: Komenetz Podolia and Zitomer Wohlin
Address: 50-52 Attorney Street, New York, NY 10002
Borough: Manhattan
Type: Orthodox
Year Established: 1905
Associated Towns: Kamyanets Podilskyy (Ukraine); Zhytomyr (Ukraine), located in the Volhynia province
Aux Societies: Insurance, Study
Notes: According to the 1939 WPA Survey, this congregation was named Komenetz Podolia and Zitomer Wohlin and was located at 50 Attorney Street. It had been organized in 1886. It had previously been located at 85 Norfolk Street and at 30 Suffolk Street until 1805 [1905], when the present brick synagogue was built. According to the 1900/1901 AJYB, there was then a congregation named Achim Zetomir U-Wolin that was located at 30 Suffolk Street. It had been founded in 1891, had a rabbi, 115 members and seat holders, met the first and third Saturdays of the month with services daily, conducted a religious school with 30 pupils, and was associated with Washington Cemetery. According to the 1907/1908 AJYB, the congregation was then named Anshei Zitomer u-Volin and was located at 32 Orchard Street. It had been organized in 1894 and had a rabbi and daily services in Hebrew. According to the 1907/1908 AJYB, there was then also a congregation named Anshei Yeshurun Kamenetz-Podelsk and located at 50 Attorney Street. It had been organized on May 1, 1886, and had a cantor, 230 members, conducted services daily in Hebrew, and had an auxiliary society, the Kamenetz-Podolier Unterstützungsverein. According to the JCR (1917/1918), the congregation was then named Komenetz Podolia and Zitomer Wohlin and was located at 52 Attorney Street. It was an orthodox congregation that had been organized in 1901 [but see 1907/1908 AJYB listings] with a membership of 260 and a seating capacity of 375. It was associated with insurance and study societies and with a cemetery.
Jewish Communal Register (1917-1918): Listed