New York Historical Synagogues Map

Erste Dzlkover, Chevrah
Address: 77 Sheriff Street, New York, NY 10002
Year Organized: 1898
Associated Towns: Dzików Stary (Poland)
Aux Societies: Bikur Cholim, Study
Notes: According to the 1907/1908 American Jewish Year Book, the Chevra Erste Dzikower had been organized in November 1898 and was located at 88 Columbia Street. It had 72 members and a Chevra Gmilus Chasodim society. According to the Jewish Communal Register (1917/1918), the Erste Dzikover Chevrah was an orthodox congregation that had been organized in 1899, was located at 77 Sheriff Street, had a membership of 29 and a seating capacity of 150, had bikur cholim and study societies, and was associated with a cemetery. In addition, the Jewish Communal Register (1917/1918) shows a Dzukever Adath Jeshurun Anshei Rabbi Isaac orthodox congregation located at 89 Ridge Street that had been organized in 1899, had a membership of 95 and a seating capacity of 225, bikur cholim and study societies, and was associated with a cemetery. According to the 1939 WPA Survey, the Erste Dzikover Chevra Anshei Rabbi Isaac Mzidachow or in English, the First Dzikow Society, Men of Rabbi Isaac Mzidachow, was then located at 58 Sheriff Street. It had been organized in 1899 as the result of a merger of a congregation Ahavath Moredecai Anshei Rabbi Isaac Mzidachow, of the Lower East Side, with a congregation Dzikover Chevra of 88 Columbia Street. This occurred in 1909 when the Dzikover Chevra split into various parts: one part jointed the Dukler Mogen Abraham of 89 Attorney Street. In 1912, a congregation known as Adath Jeshurun merged with this new congregation to become the Dzikover Chevrah Adath Jeshurun Anshe Rabbi Isaac Mzydanczow, but this did not last long. The congregation was incorporated in 1908. It was located at 89 Ridge Street for more than 20 years, then at 110 Ridge Street to 1935, then at 58 Sheriff Street. It was associated with Mount Zion and Mount Hebron Cemeteries.
Name: Erste Dzlkover, Chevrah
Alternate Name: Chevra Erste Dzikower; Erste Dzikover Chevra Anshei Rabbi Isaac Mzidachow; Dzukever Adath Jeshurun Anschel Rabbi Isaac; First Dzikow Society, Men of Rabbi Isaac Mzidachow
Address: 77 Sheriff Street, New York, NY 10002
Borough: Manhattan
Type: Orthodox
Year Organized: 1898
Associated Towns: Dzików Stary (Poland)
Aux Societies: Bikur Cholim, Study
Notes: According to the 1907/1908 American Jewish Year Book, the Chevra Erste Dzikower had been organized in November 1898 and was located at 88 Columbia Street. It had 72 members and a Chevra Gmilus Chasodim society. According to the Jewish Communal Register (1917/1918), the Erste Dzikover Chevrah was an orthodox congregation that had been organized in 1899, was located at 77 Sheriff Street, had a membership of 29 and a seating capacity of 150, had bikur cholim and study societies, and was associated with a cemetery. In addition, the Jewish Communal Register (1917/1918) shows a Dzukever Adath Jeshurun Anshei Rabbi Isaac orthodox congregation located at 89 Ridge Street that had been organized in 1899, had a membership of 95 and a seating capacity of 225, bikur cholim and study societies, and was associated with a cemetery. According to the 1939 WPA Survey, the Erste Dzikover Chevra Anshei Rabbi Isaac Mzidachow or in English, the First Dzikow Society, Men of Rabbi Isaac Mzidachow, was then located at 58 Sheriff Street. It had been organized in 1899 as the result of a merger of a congregation Ahavath Moredecai Anshei Rabbi Isaac Mzidachow, of the Lower East Side, with a congregation Dzikover Chevra of 88 Columbia Street. This occurred in 1909 when the Dzikover Chevra split into various parts: one part jointed the Dukler Mogen Abraham of 89 Attorney Street. In 1912, a congregation known as Adath Jeshurun merged with this new congregation to become the Dzikover Chevrah Adath Jeshurun Anshe Rabbi Isaac Mzydanczow, but this did not last long. The congregation was incorporated in 1908. It was located at 89 Ridge Street for more than 20 years, then at 110 Ridge Street to 1935, then at 58 Sheriff Street. It was associated with Mount Zion and Mount Hebron Cemeteries.
1907-1908 American Jewish Year Book: Listed
Jewish Communal Register (1917-1918): Listed